Sunday, July 10, 2005

beating a preppy dead horse

Seeing one familiar face in nyc is weird enough, but an entire cluster of familiar faces is borderline surreal. Last night I was out with a group of people/alums from IU’s newspaper. It was great, but for a bar called Nevada Smiths, I sense they played a little too much destiny’s child.

Someone mentioned to me, “That guy over there in the red shirt was just checking you out, but he doesn’t have his collar popped.” He was kinda hot, but he was in fact wearing a polo shirt without the collar popped, so I was like- fuck him.

Looking back now, I’m thinking, “wait a minute, I blew off a hot guy who didn’t have his collar popped? Why did I do that?!” But A) I’d been drinking.

Dear hot guy in the red shirt,
If you’re reading this, I’m sorry I blew you off. I’m sure there are plenty of women out there who are willing to love you (or just randomly hookup) even with your collar down.
Love, Joanna

I think it’s sad that popped collars are still something you can make fun of after all this time. I also think it’s sad that the accepted term for this fashion faux paus is “popping.”

What if bouncers didn’t let people into bars or clubs if their collars were popped? I really wonder what the reaction would be. Would popped patrons just be belligerent or would they go someplace else or would some people actually put their collars down? Would it squelch the trend? One wonders.

And if you put your collar down and they find you again inside with your collar popped … oh my god, they throw you out onto the street.

Speaking of popping, I just want to take a moment to make fun of my roommate. Every single damn time the song “Drop It Like It’s Hot” comes on, she feels the need to change the lyrics to, “pop it like a squat.” She doesn’t just say it once though, ohhh no. Every time she says it. And she has to make sure I’m listening the entire time so I know just how clever she is. If this were six years ago, that might be remotely humorous, but no.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home